Medallion Milk Co. employees recently participated in a recipe challenge to come up with fun ways to use our Medallion Milk powder other than enjoying a glass of milk. We had many creative and delicious recipes, however the use of both Medallion Skim and Whole Milk powder made this Tres Leches Cake recipe a clear winner.
We are now challenging you to try out this delicious cake recipe, or create your own recipe using Medallion Milk powder. Post the final outcome on Facebook and tag Medallion Milk so we can see what you come up with!
Tres Leches Cake
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs (separated)
- 1 cup white sugar (divided)
- 1/3 cup reconstituted Medallion Whole Milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 oz evaporated milk*
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk*
- 1/4 cup reconstituted Medallion Whole Milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Strawberries, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray 9x13" pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In two separate bowls, separate the egg yolks and whites.
- Add 3/4 cup sugar to the bowl with the egg yolks and mix on high speed until yolks are a pale yellow, then add the 1/3 cup Medallion Whole Milk and vanilla, stirring to combine.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and stir gently until combined, careful not to over-mix.
- Mix the egg whites on high speed. Gradually adding the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar as you mix, continuing to beat until you have stiff peaks.
- Fold egg whites into batter gently, just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cake cool completely.
- Combine the evaporated milk*, sweetened condensed milk*, and 1/4 cup Medallion Whole Milk in a small mixing bowl. Once the cake has cooled, use a fork to poke holes all over the top of the cake.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture over the top of the cake, making sure to evenly distribute.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour, or overnight, to allow the milk mixture to soak in.
- Top with whipping cream, and sprinkled cinnamon.
- Serve with freshly sliced strawberries if desired.
*To make your own evaporated, and sweetened condensed milk using Medallion Milk powder, please see the recipes below.
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup Medallion Skim Milk Powder
- Pour water into small/medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add Medallion Skim Milk Powder.
- Whisk until powder is dissolved and free of clumps.
Recipe yields 12 oz.
Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 cups Medallion Skim Milk Powder
- Pour water into blender, add butter and sugar blending until combined.
- Add Medallion Skim Milk Powder 1 cup at a time, blending after each cup is added.
Recipe yields 14 oz.